26 October 2011

Entry Twenty-Two

Since it's been FORVER since I've written anything, here's the quick catch up:

- Two weeks ago we finished our first class (no more histology!!!) and picked up to more classes (neuroscience and embryology)
- We had a highly successful first cook out at the house with bran new fire pit
- Jenna and I went to WKU's homecoming (had a good time besides the constant comparisons she kept making between WKU and Florida)
- And the biggest news of all:  I interviewed for and was accepted into a 2nd year elective rotation in Honduras!!!

Allow me to explain what that means: as soon as classes end in May, I'll be off to Honduras again for a month to rotate in a hospital in El Progreso (not sure what specialty yet) where I'll be learning some basic medical procedures and practicing medical Spanish.  Here's the kicker: I'm supposed to be fluent in Spanish before I go... That means a lot more self-discipline to study not only for classes but Spanish as well.  I will be going with 3 other students from my class, 2 of whom I know and respect a lot, 1 who I don't really know.

Even though we've finished 9 weeks of school so far, I still have a hard time convincing myself I'm going to actually be a doctor at the end of all this.  We learned about central lines last week.  The first procedural thing we've really learned about yet, and I couldn't help but think to myself, "Really? really, Ashley?  You think you are going to be able to stick a needle in someones neck and set one of these up?"  Even though we're in medical school, really doctoring still seems really far away.  My hope is that this rotation next summer will start to bridge that gap for me.

Final random thought:  why did God make the nervous system so darn complicated?  Obviously it is a beautifully complex system and according to Dr. Ho, it's to make life difficult for medical students.  All I want to know is why God couldn't have chosen to make this particular system beautiful in a simple way?!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on Honduras! And I completely agree with you, geeesh the nervous system is way too complicated!

    ReplyDelete