14 November 2011

Entry Twenty-four

No better way to spend time between tests than on catching up a blog.  I've been a total slacker about it the past couple weeks, but with good reason:  preparation for my embryo midterm and head/neck anatomy exams today.  We're definitely not in Kansas anymore.

During preparation for these exams, however, some cool stuff has happened  On Thursday night we took a break from studying to go to a Professional's Dinner that the Christian Medical and Dental Asso had invited us to.  The presentation was about a surgical training program in Africa called PAACS that is trying to put a dent in the huge need for surgeons across the continent.  I wish I could explain the kind of encouragement it was to me... it reminded me to dream a little, let my imagination go a little crazy with all the cool things God might let me do with my medical training.  The speaker/CEO of PAACS, Dr. Bruce Steffes, kept reminding us that it is God's work, not ours.  He (nor any of us) have anything that the Lord needs.  He is going to accomplish his purposes and let us join the ride if we're obedient.  Such a good reminder, but man was it hard to go stare at an anatomy book after that!  But first things first, I can't train Africa surgeons until I become one myself :-)

Second cool thing, second major study break: shadowing in labor and delivery on Saturday.  I witnessed surgeries for the first time (sounds cool to some of you, but many of my classmates have seen dozens and it makes me feel way lame for thinking this one was so neat).  The two surgeries were a tubal ligation and a c-section, and I hope that I never lose the wonder as a doctor of seeing an infant's first breath.  That was just too cool.

So now that I've finished this round of tests (and there's only one round left until semester one is done! gasp!), it's time to start working Spanish studying into the schedule.  (I did mention I'm going back to Honduras next summer right?!)  So much to do and so little time.  But there are no elephant-swallowers here, 'cause God's gonna make it happen his way and I'm just along for the ride!

I LOVE being along for this ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment