*I will not do anything to cause my
patients undo harm and exercise conservative judgment when suggesting
treatments that could be harmful to the patient.
*I will strive to understand my
limitations as a practicing physician or student and only operate within my
abilities, referring to others when my knowledge or skills are inadequate to
serve the patient’s needs.
*I will protect all the information
that I acquire about my patients and any information they volunteer to me even
after they have deceased.
*I will treat every patient with the
best of my professional ability and not withhold any treatments on the grounds
of race, religion, nationality, etc.
*I will strive to remember that I do
not treat a wound or a sickness, but I treat a sick human being whose sickness
can have broad-ranged effects on economic stability, family members, etc. I will be aware of surrounding issues and
carefully consider these related issues as well as the sickness itself.
*I will always seek to improve my
patients’ quality of life through caring for their health and preventing
disease before it happens whenever possible.
*I will respect the wishes of my
patients with regards to their healthcare and allow them to define for
themselves what health goals will most readily allow them to experience an
acceptable quality life.
*I will inform my patients to the
best of my ability about their health status, risk factors, and empower them to
make beneficial decisions regarding their healthcare and general welfare.
*I will not knowingly withhold
relevant information from my patients about their health status, health risks,
or other related information.
*I will respect and honor all of the
physicians and scientists that have studied, practiced, and spent time teaching
me to be a physician and subsequently pass on my knowledge and skills to the
generation of new doctors who will follow me.
And suddenly the responsibility of what I'm training to do feels very heavy :-)
I really like the thought about treating the sick human, and not the wound or disease. So true! Your Hippocratic Oath sounds so good!
ReplyDelete"(You) can to all things through Him who gives (you) strength!"
ReplyDelete