07 September 2011

Entry Thirteen

(My entry titles are going to get very embarrassing if I can't spell numbers correctly :-)

NEWS FLASH:  I do not have to be good at everything.

Actually, not so much a news flash but a lesson that's been grilled into my head over and over this past year.  One of the things I absolutely had to become okay with in Honduras (see En Vasos de Barro) was not being excellent at things the first time I tried them (like teaching or speaking Spanish).  It's silly I know, but I have been pretty used to being pretty "capable" in general.  Unfortunately, being used to that feeling makes situations where I have no idea what I'm doing very uncomfortable.  God truly humbled my heart in Honduras on this issue, but I still have trouble not stressing out when I have to do something that I don't think I can do perfectly (or at least really well).  I just have to keep reminding myself: that's why you are here, to learn.  And not to learn things you already know, to learn things you don't know and can't do yet.  That is so much of what are Christian life is supposed to be like too.  Constantly relying on God's ability when we get thrown into situations we can't handle, or get handed people we don't know how to help.  It's just all about the diving part.  Time to put on the "sink or swim" mentality.  But let's be real, God has already promised not to let us sink.  But we're still responsible for jumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment