18 August 2011

Entry Eight

Here's what the 1st week of medical school has taught me:

If anyone ever tells you that you're going to have to learn the brachial plexus, be afraid.  Be VERY afraid.

If you aren't medically inclined, just know that the brachial plexus is a tangled mess of nerves that runs deep in your armpit and innervates much of your arm and thorax. (And I mean tangled mess)

Other than that, histology lectures have been rather boring and the basics of taking a medical history was interesting, but difficult to "memorize" or "practice."  Although we do get to start practicing on what they call "standarized patients" next week, which are essentially actors hired to pretend to be patients at a Doc's office for us.  That should be fun :-)

All in all, I've enjoyed myself and refused to get overwhelmed the first week.  And I can say without a shadow of a doubt that taking a year off was a BRILLIANT idea.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. So I finally got a moment to sit and read this blog from entry one to eight. Wow.

    First, hadn't realized you had actually started school. Welcome? Congrats? Don't know really what to say...How about, proud of you and praying for you. Because I am.

    Also, so encouraged and humbled by you. You are wise beyond your years, Dear. A very precious (and beautiful) vessel.

    So enjoy. I remember those cadaver days when my dad was in med school (I was a freshman in high school so I remember that well). He smelled so bad when he came home. Are all 3 of you 1st year med students? I can only imagine how badly your house must stink on dissection days. That said, I'm a wee bit jealous. I'm fascinated by the human body and feel quite certain I'd love to dissect one - that sounds weird, doesn't it?

    And the brachial plexus? I've never memorized it but have definitely suffered the effects of that tangled mess not working correctly. No fun. And would you know it took 3 doctors to finally do something about it?

    Ok, got a dipe to change. So glad to "catch up". Love you and proud of you; blessed by you and praying for you. Have a blessed week. ~ Kelley

    ReplyDelete