07 August 2011

Entry Two

4:00 in the morning and sleeping in the finished-out attic doesn't allow you to sleep through thunderstorms like living in the basement of my parents house did.  But just as well, I usually love a good thunderstorm.  I'm not a scary movie person AT ALL.  I hate the things, hate being scared, hate the nasty images, all of it.  But there is something so different about the kind of fear you can feel in a thunderstorm.  The shear awesome power of it all is frightening and I can't help but imagine the holiness of God as I watch the bolts flashing relentlessly outside my window.  I rarely sit and contemplate the holiness of God enough to cultivate that healthy "fear of the Lord" that is so frequently talked about in Scripture, but I'm sure it would be a lot easier if I had lots more thunderstorms in my life.  What a terrifying thing it will be to stand before a Holy God one day and try to give an account for my blubbering, wicked self.  Yet what an awesome testimony to the power of Christ's blood to think that it will allow me in all my frightened and pathetic state to stand in such a Holy Presence and worship, not to be thrown out but welcomed.  It is indeed a mighty God we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment